8.24.2012

DIY: Full Length Mirror Frame

This was one of those spur of the moment projects...after dinner, I busted out the chop saw, rummaged through some old pieces of wood and dragged my cheapy full length mirror out of the guest room.

My cheapy mirror has been a thorn in my side for years.  I used to have it hanging on the back of a door with mirror clips.  Well, when I upgraded the bedroom doors to solid wood  six panel, I didn't want to drill holes in those beauties.  The mirror was from Wal-mart and had no frame.  I had high intentions for years to make one, but never did.  This lonely mirror leaned against the wall, was a safety hazard and was starting to get on my nerves.

I had no idea what I was going to build, but I remembered seeing a project over at Shanty2Chic and knew I could be a copy cat.

I measured my mirror and pretty much cut my wood pieces to be slightly smaller.  If I had to do it over again, I'd go about a whole inch narrower.

My wood was scrap and I think it might have been cedar cause it sure smelled like it.
I sanded it smooth and then beat it up with a hammer and screw driver.
  I used Liquid Nails and staples to secure the corners.  I also used my nail gun to secure each piece on the outer corners.  Make sure you nail straight or like me, you'll have one poking out the backside.  Luckily it wasn't the front.
 I stained the front and back in Rustoleum Wood Stain in Kona.  I used one of those little cans and hardly had to use any.  The first coat was rubbed in and looked like this.
That was a little light for my taste.  So I really stirred up the can and got some of that dark pigment to the top. The second coat was deep chocolate and goes smashingly well with my oil rubbed bronze accents.
Now I wish I took some pictures of my mirror attaching debacle.  Let's just say it was late at night, I was getting aggravated and I forgot to take some pictures of that part.  I thought I could Liquid Nail the mirror to the back of the frame.  Wrong.  I didn't have much width on the mirror and the Liquid Nail seeped everywhere.  I quickly wiped in off with a damp rag and had to sand it off of the back of the wood frame.  Talk about a step backwards.

Don't judge, but I ended up using Gorilla Glue Duct Tape.  This stuff is mean!  I stuck tape around the entire perimeter of the mirror and it's stuck on there for-ev-er.  I hung picture wire from the back sides of the frame and anchored it to the hallway wall.
I love how when I walk up the stairs, I see this beautiful mirror and my barn door.  It makes the hallway look so much bigger and brighter. 


 If you follow me on Instagram (PineTreeHome), you've already gotten a sneak peak and have seen that I love to snap pictures of myself on the way out for a hot date with Hubs.  Love it.  Wish I did it sooner.  It was easy and cheap!
Linking up to Tatertots & Jello


6 comments:

  1. I am beginning to think you never take a vacation or even sleep? I can't believe how much you get accomplished around your place! I love your new frame and you got the stain exactly right!!

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. really like this project. nice job! i have a loose mirror that would look so much nicer if i did this. stopping by from tatertots & jello.

    lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!!! Especially all the distressing you gave the frame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This looks so good! What a great DIY project. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, you are too funny! I can't believe you used Gorilla tape ~ what a brilliant idea! I'be been wanting to make a few of these but not having a router has stopped me dead in my tracks, now you've got me thinking. I already have the tape, mwuaaaa! Thanx for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete