3.15.2012

Spring Break: NYC

Hubs and I took a long weekend and spent time in NYC. The weather was a pleasant surprise for this time of year. Sunshine and warm breezes made it fabulous to walk all around.

We stayed at The Eventi in the Chelsea section. The area was home to lots of stores selling handbags and costume jewelry. Few blocks south there was an abundance of flower shops that received large deliveries of shrubs, cut branches and flowers on Monday morning. By the afternoon, most of the goods were sold. It made me want to go home and cut my own branches. Signs of Spring.

On one of our strolls, I was yacking on the phone and Hubs waved wildly at me to stop.  I peered into this large room filled with all sorts of goods.  It was so much fun to see two floors worth of stuff being sold.  I did walk out empty handed just because I am on this "no more stuff" kick, but I really enjoyed checking out the goods.  There was costume jewelry in huge piles to pick through.
We were so excited to see this view from our room.  Hubs proposed on the top of the Empire State Building on a cold January day, so this was a special view.
Here it is all light up at night in red, white and blue.  The last night we were there, the building was light up with green and white.  I assume in celebration of St. Pat's Day.
We ate thin crust, oven baked pizza at a joint called Waldy's.  It was in walking distance and was awesome because thin crust pizza is my absolute favorite!
We saw The Black Keys at Madison Square Garden.  The show was great, but I felt like an old fart because I had to stuff tissues in my ears to dull down the noise.
This was the crazy view looking out our floor to ceiling window down at the street.  Anyone afraid of heights?
View out the same window to the southeast.  The building dead center had these crazy lights on the roof top at night.  I wondered if there was a party going on every night!
We enjoyed a leisurely stroll through the villages and ended up at the 9/11 memorial site.  This is a view from where we obtained tickets and saw the construction on one of the new towers.
This is the view from within the memorial and the pools where the original tower stood.  It was an experience I did not expect.  I instantly remembered where I was when the planes hit and quietly thought of all the people whose lives were taken that day.
We also wanted to take the ferry to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, but the wait was over 2 hours and we ran out of time.  This is on my to do list for the summer.  I want to head back.
I cracked up when I saw this photo of me because I am trying so hard not to smile and show my braces.  What a dork.  
Hope you are enjoying some Spring weather too.  The weekend here in NJ is supposed to be great again.  I'm ready to pull out all the weeds that have appeared.

1 comment:

  1. It looks like you had a wonderful time. I have never been to the Chelsea area of NYC...it looks like fun! Now for pizza...you really have to visit me here in Chicago! ;-D

    XO,
    Jato

    ReplyDelete