3.02.2012

Food Choices

The winter blues sure put a damper on my choices of food after the holidays.  While I still maintained a pretty good focus on low carb, high protein and no dessert, I was feeling off, tired, foggy, sleepy, just blah for a few days.  I knew I wasn't exercising as much as I should. It was damp and cold out and I prefer to run outside.  And I was really just lazy about it.  I liked to cozy up under the covers and watch a movie instead of jumping around.

Over the last few weeks, I really made an effort to eat more well rounded meals full of veggies and protein. It's hard. It takes work and it costs money, but I am seeing the benefits.

I hadn't lost or gained any weight so I wasn't really paying attention, until the run down feelings started to creep in again. I ran into a rut where I was relying on a little too much cereal and oatmeal for a snack and fell off the protein wagon.  I find that eating good foods is cumulative for me.  If I eat so-so for a few days, it really doesn't effect me the day of, but more so next day or down the road when I feel overall yucky.

So I've been on track, eating larger meals packed with stuff.  Lunch today was as pictured above.  Veggie and Rice Medley with Tofu.  Yep, that is what I call it.  Whipped it up with what was in the fridge.  No plan, just starting mixing.

1 cup of cooked brown rice
Assorted sauteed veggies (zucs, eggplant, mushroom, snow peas, red onion
Chopped tofu with dash of soy sauce
1 scrambled egg
Season to taste
Dollop of greek yogurt
Slice avocados

It by no means had that sweet salty taste of real Chinese or Thai food, but it was rather good. It was fresh, low salt and packed with protein.

What are you doing to get through Winter and bring a little Spring in your step? Do share.

6 comments:

  1. Looks so yummy, love anything with avo :)
    XO
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. That meal sounds good and easy. I need to start eating more protein as well, I'm all carbs during this pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been on the low carb, high protien, lots of veggies, no sugar kick for about 3 weeks now. The key for me is to have good food ready all the time. I spend my Sunday cooking and prepping food for the week. Chicken breast, mixed greens, turkey chili, etc. My real treat is scrambled tofu on weekend mornings. Two slices of bacon diced, peppers, onions, brocolli all sauteed and then about 1/3 of a block of extra firm tofu, ripped up. Add a little tumeric to make it yellow and it's a delicious breakfast. I think I've lost about 10 pounds probably from keeping away from the sweets more than anything. And I feel so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so yummy! Check out my blog...
    http://re-purposedrestorations-rachel.blogspot.com/2012/03/i-have-received-liebster-blog-award.html
    I have passed on the Liebster blog award to you... details are on my page : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, that looks delicious!! I love adding avocado to meals. I feel like it cranks up the dish a notch. So good! As far as how we're making it through...I'm trying to work more soups into our menu. Warm and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I am SO glad you stopped by and left a sweet lil note about my bathtub, because I am in LOVE with what I am seeing on your blog!!! I am following along, hope you return the love if you haven't already!

    ReplyDelete