1.24.2012

Guest Room: Painted Furniture with Chalk Paint

I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do with the furniture in the guest room.  I purchased the dresser from an antique store years ago, the headboard I bought at a garage sale soon after and the vanity table was taken from my parent's home recently.  I had painted and distressed the dresser and vanity white years ago, but I wasn't sure if that was the look I was going after for this room.
After I stenciled the wall, with a burst of late night energy, I dug into my paint supply and brought out the Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Duck Egg Blue.  I had wanted to use it for the desk in the pool house but that didn't work out as planned.
Late last Saturday night, I started painting the vanity table.  I loved the deep, rich teal blue.  (Check out the Ballard Design catalog and the teal walls!)  
What I wasn't sure of what the texture of the paint.  It is very matte and very chalky.  I painted the dresser and called it a night.
 
On Sunday, I decided to wax over the pieces with Annie Sloan Clear Wax.  I rubbed it on with the brush and quickly wiped it off.  It gave it a deeper finish.  What I wasn't happy with was some of the brush marks.  I tried to sand the piece, but it only made the finish chalky, more so without wax, but some with the wax.  I then mixed a little paint on a dish with about a tablespoon of water, so it made almost a wash.  I brushed that all over the pieces and let it dry.
This is where I became satisfied. I quickly painted the headboard in the same fashion and knew I was pleased with how it all looked. I would use ASCP again. I'd add a little bit of water to make it not so thick going on.  What is great about it, is that no primer, no sanding needed.  It goes on fast and dries very quick.
For kicks, this is what the room looked before.  Total Hot Mess.
And now I walk in here and use the space in the morning.  Who says it only has to be used with guests?  I sit at the vanity table and put my makeup on, walk to the dresser and pick out my jewelry.  I smile to myself when I walk into this room. 
I have some more to do.  Curtains, Mirror, Closet update, Throw Pillows....
You'll notice I moved some things from the other bedroom into here, the necklace hooks, the lamp, the jewelry organizers.
I used Rub N Buff in Silverleaf over the handles.  They had already been washed in white paint, so I dabbed some Duck Egg paint on them and then used the Rub N Buff to highlight them. Very Chic, no?

8 comments:

  1. I love how the dresser and headboard turned out! beautiful! I have never use ASCP before so I'm glad you gave the tip about the wax. Great post!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you are using these pretty pieces even if they're not in your master - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh thanks SO much for that sweet lil note about my bathroom, then I come over to say thanks and I find you have oodles of talent... I am swooning over your room makeovers as well!!! Your bathroom! I AM IN LOVE!!!
    XO
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! I love what you did with the pulls especially.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a lot of work, but it was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the color...you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great! I just did Duck Egg on my dresser, too! Love it! I have a mirror to do next but I may lighten it a little so it isn't matchy-matchy {not that the mirror goes with the dresser anyway}.

    ReplyDelete