1.07.2012

Get Rid of the Clutter



Wowza what a week.  A short work week but jam packed none the less.  My brain hurt by the time this morning rolled around.

I've been tackling little projects here and there.  I still have the bug the declutter my closets.  I tell ya, working at Grandpa's sure put things in perspective.  If I'm going to end up throwing it all in the trash one day, what is the point!

Grandpa and I tossed 16 more bags worth of junk into garbage bags today.  Such a trooper.
These were the 3 questions he kept asking out loud:
How many things does one person need?
Where did you find THAT?
Do you want it? (cracked up every time)

When it came time to sift through things that were of sentimental value, I could tell he had to really think about some things, but in the end, it went into the garbage.  He knew he had the memories and the items were just collecting dust, taking up space and not being used anymore.

We are almost out of the TOSS phase of this clean up project.  Next is to pack up items for donations and then deep clean the joint.

P.S. I sent 4 more bags to the Goodwill out of my own closets this week and pitched two bags into the trash.

6 comments:

  1. Hurray for you...I need to go through my clothes and purge a lot. Otherwise I have slowly been going through the house right before decorating for the seasons and getting rid of pieces I just don't need or like.

    Keep up the good work!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are throwing things out and can help your grandpa through this process. I love to throw things out sometimes too much! Hope you can kee the energy level up and when it's over get some rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a hard time getting rid of stuff because I can usually remember where I bought it and how MUCH it was! Ugh, I wish I could just forget and let those things go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, go grandpa! I'm so sentimental that it's hard to get rid of things, but I'm feeling inspired now to get rid of some clutter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...you have been working hard! I totally get sentimental when it comes time to get rid of things, especially my kid's baby things. It is so hard to part with their stuff, and I know it is taking up space, but sometimes I can't do it. I like to have my step-mother help me clean closets...she will tell me "get rid of it!!" I plan on working on closets and my office today. How is your office coming along? Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! Over Christmas my husband and I spent the whole week cleaning out his parents' house. You could only walk in 1 of the 4 bedrooms upstairs because the other rooms were full of junk. We took 3 truckloads to the dump and used up 2 boxes of contractor garbage bags of stuff to donate!

    ReplyDelete