12.31.2011

Organization: Letting Go

My grandfather is moving out of his home and Hubs and I helped clean house this weekend. The motto of the day was Let It Go.  I am so proud of Grandpa because he held back nothing. He's lived in his house for over 50 years and has been widowed taking care of it himself for the last 25.  Needless to say, there was a lot of garbage, Goodwill and cleaning to do.  Hubs took a first stab at the yard and Grandpa and I tackled the inside.

14 contractor garbage bags later we called it a day.  Grandpa was my inspiration today to look forward, not hold on to things and just remember the good memories.  Once home to my own house tonight, I marched right into the hall closet and cleaned out 3 junk bins.  Old things I thought were keepsakes.  They were just space hoarders.  Grandpa taught me today that it is ok to LET IT GO.  While we have much more work to do, it was a great first step.

Hope you embark on your own organization goals in 2012.

5 comments:

  1. You were really in a cleaning out and purging mode!! Good for you and your grandfather. I tend to shift pieces from room to room so I hang on to most of my stuff...but I really hesitate to buy new things unless I know exactly where they are going. That has helped me keep clutter under control.

    Wishing you a Happy New Year!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandpa's a wise man. I should take that lesson.

    Happy New Year!

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. That must have been hard to go through all of those things - so many memories! I'm so sentimental so things like that are hard on me. It's great that you guys got so much done though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow -inspiring post! I need to get onto letting certain things (especially non sentimental things like clothes) go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Go you and Grandpa!!! I'm such a pack rat, so I should take his words and live more by them. Thanks for the inspiring post!!!

    ReplyDelete