11.21.2011

Painting a Desk- Update

I am very happy to tell you that my disaster of a desk has had a turn for the better.  I almost threw in the towel on this project, but a little more elbow grease and lots of patience, I was able to salvage this little beauty. I used the citrus stripper on the desk over the course of a week.  I just kept painting it on, letting it sit for an hour and then scraping it off.  I got to the point where it looked like it was ready to sand, but I quickly found out that that there was this sticky residue that clogged up my sanding pads.  Back to research....right on the back of the bottle, it tells you to use odorless mineral spirits.  Off to Home Depot.
I rubbed the mineral spirits all over the desk top, let it dry and then sanded away, first using a course grit paper, then following up with a fine grit.  I almost decided to nix the painting and stain the desk top, but quickly came to my senses that this wasn't the look I was after.

I had made a run to our Benjamin Moore dealer over the weekend to get a few gallons of paint for other projects and decided on a last minute whim, to get a teal blue mixed up in a pint sample.  It is the perfect shade and way more than I ever needed for this desk top.  To my delight, the paint goes on like butter.  I love Ben Moore paint, no idea why I ever skimp in this area.  Laziness sometimes.
Benjamin Moore 2052-40 Blue Spa at MyPerfectColor

Benjamin Moore 2052-40 Blue Spa at MyPerfectColor

To prep the desk top, after sanding, I wiped it down to remove the dust with a very lightly dampened rag.  I let it dry then sprayed on Kilz oil based primer.  I never used this before and I was very iffy at first, but you know what?  Total time saver.  Good coverage and went on quick.  I had to make sure I shook the can extra long though because at first it started to come out a little thick.

I let the primer dry according to the directions, I think it was just under 2 hours, then lightly sanded with a 320 grit sanding block which I ran under water and rung out beforehand. The primer did have this sort of chalky texture to it, but once sanded it was super smooth.  I then mixed in Floetrol to my paint and used a large Purdy brush to apply the colored paint.  I did end up doing two light coats, one right after the other.  I was getting a little damp out and if I had mustered up a little more patience, I would have waited a day to put on the second coat.  However, I did do another light sand a day later with 320 grit sanding block and then adding a third coat and the color turned out just beautiful.  I am going to let it dry real good and then I will be top coating it with polycrylic (first time ever using it).  I'll let you know how it goes!

Oh, see the mess...making cushions, moving furniture...love the yellow mirror in here.  Soon it will all come together.  See how the turquoise desk picks up the pond in the painting?  Fun surprises like that make my day.

5 comments:

  1. You have a lot of patience!! But it looks lovely...can't wait to see everything put together.

    XO,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how the desk turned out! The color is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you stuck with it -- looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you know the website http://www.houseofturquoise.com? It's a great site and I think she welcomes pictures from readers -- you should totally send her a pic of the room when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have one project that i can think that i did throw in the towel. maybe i'll try it again! happy thanksgiving! susan

    ReplyDelete