8.24.2011

Guest Room- Ruffle Trim Tutorial

This was one of the quickest changes I've made and it was very sew simple.
I took one of my stashed white, twin Target flat sheets and folded it in half lengthwise.
I pressed the seam and used that as my cut line.  I did cut on this line with scissors and measured my length to hang past my window trim.
The fun part was after that, I used the old tear technique and snipped a little of each edge and tore the curtain.  I wanted the old linen, unfinished look and the frayed edges did the trick.
I gathered strips of fabric that were about 1 inch wide, pulled off all the long dangly strings and made my ruffles.  Nothing fancy.  Nothing was measured here nor was anything precise.
I fed the material through the ruffles and watched out to make sure my fingers didn't get caught. 
I ended up with a pile.
 I decided that I wanted 3 rows of ruffles near the bottom of the curtains.  I eyeballed everything and pinned.  At this point, I did clip the curtains up on the rod to make sure they looked as I wanted.  I then did a quick stitch and they were complete.
They look so beautiful in the sunlight with the wind billowing them around.  They are simple, old looking and just the cottage touch I wanted.  I am a sucker for white cotton.  
It's clean look just makes me smile and relax.


5 comments:

  1. So cute!!! So thrifty!!! Love it.
    Robyn Smyles
    http://robynsmyleshome.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are darling! I'm a new follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done. Simple, inexpensive and totally cute. No way to improve really:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way the ruffles look. I think this would also be fun to do on a shower curtain.

    ReplyDelete