7.30.2011

The Diet that changed me

I know this is not something I typically write about, but it has been 6 weeks since I tried a diet that changed my life.  


You see the rock candy.  Well basically that is what I felt like eating all the time.  In one form or another, I was consuming huge amounts of sugar.  Bread. Pasta. Gatorade. Granola Bars. Carrots.  Honey. Jellybeans.  
Everything in high amounts of sugar.  I needed it.  I craved it.  I lived off it.


I woke up one morning doing my normal routine and headed into the office.  I had my usual PB on white english muffin and glass of honey hot water on the way to work.  I had a 9 am meeting and by 10 am I felt horrible.  Dizzy.  Out of it.  
I sucked down a Gatorade and ate a yogurt loaded with chemicals- ya know, fat free but with stuff you can't pronounce.


This was just the beginning.  The entire week I felt progressively worse.  Dizzy all the time.  Out of it.  Fear I was going to faint.  I thought I was hypoglycemic because that is what the doctors always told me.  Your blood sugar is crashing too fast, eat more.  So I ate more of the sugary stuff.


By the end of the week, I was sick to my stomach and felt like I was dying.  I went to the doctor and insisted they run every test they could.  Full blood work up, allergy test and parasite test.  That was the day I decided to completely revamp my diet.  That was a Friday.


Slowly I eliminated all processed foods and lived off a higher protein low carb diet.  Another week went by and I still felt bad.  My blood work and all my tests were negative, but do you know by the following Friday I woke up feeling like a million bucks?  It was amazing.  Life was new again.


Since then, I dropped 10lbs, am no longer bloated and my skin has never looked better.  I don't follow a strict diet, but I have not eaten cookies, pie, ice cream, cake in 6 weeks.  I don't miss it.


To curb my craving, I do eat fruit with greek yogurt, fruit with cottage cheese.  Almond butter on a rice cake.  I eat full, big meals with lots of veggies and little carb.  If I want Italian dinner, I make sure there is a protein, either fish or chicken along side the pasta.  I limit the pasta to the size of my palm.


Some may think this is a drag, but the way I feel surpasses the 30 seconds of joy I would get from eating something that makes me feel crappy later.

2 comments:

  1. When I'm really busy and eating on the run, it's the carbs and sugar that become my predominant diet, all the stuff that's ready to eat off the shelf. I always find myself feeling really awful after these periods in my life. Cooking real food takes time and it's easy to cut those corners. I always feel better, more at ease even, when I eat protein paired with lots of fruits and vegetables. I also think it takes a few weeks to feel the effects but it's always worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had something similar happen 2 weeks ago...feeling just as you described. I have been very strictly dieting lately (lost 25 lbs in 6 weeks), and finally ended up at the dr. Mine was pretty much dehydration but it was a wake up call that while I do need to lose weight, I really need to get healthy! I need to knock off the fake sugar, diet soda, etc. I have been trying to eat more protein, and I was already eating NO carbs - so I've added some back in. I haven't gained anything, but I feel much much better. Funny how our bodies tell us what we need, and they scream it at us when we don't listen. Glad you are feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete