3.20.2011

Bedroom - A start

My stepmother loved Sarah Richardson's farmhouse bedroom. She used the photo from this post as her inspiration. Taking cue from the richness of the walls, a deep sage was selected.
My stepmother jumped in and tackled painting the ceiling (flat white) and the walls all by herself. She did such a rockin' job.


Lowes Valspar Paint and Primer went on like butter and the walls have a deep warmth that makes me want to snuggle up in fluffy white bedding.

Today we picked out some extra chunky trim and will be replacing all the casing and floor moldings. I love it. It's MDF and standing tall. I'll be cutting, mitering and nailing it all in this weekend.


The photos are of the progress so far. I apologize for the quality, but my camera's battery was dead. These are from my phone in a last ditch effort to capture the progress as of today.

My dad and I installed the flooring last weekend. (Can I just tell you I couldn't walk the next day! I felt like I had done 2,000 squats. Whew. Legs were a burnin'.)

The flooring is from Home Depot and is a floating floor. Tarkett Genesis line.
It was sort of a pain at first since the click and lock was tricky, but once we got the hang of it, it went down nice, but not easy. I had nightmares that when I came back today it was going to be all "unclicked", but it looks fabulous. I am jealous. You would think it was something that was finished onsite.

I'll be sure to share some real photos later.

Just so you have an idea of what the entire house was like, here's a shot of the hall and the next bedroom to tackle. Flower wallpaper EVERYWHERE. Dingy carpet that has seen better days and dinky moldings and trims. I grew up in this house and it has sentimental value, but I am all aboard to get this home updated and fresh. See the dark walnut doors. They will be getting an update!

6 comments:

  1. I love the sage color! I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to convince my husband to go with a similar color for our kitchen. The floors are gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I soooo want to be Sarah when I grow up. I can not wait to see what fabulous masterpiece awaits this room. Love the color already...now to await anxiously for the reveal.

    Cheers~
    e

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice color choice.. and i LOVE me some sarah richardson! {have many of her room pics in my inspiration folder!} i feel your pain w/ all the wallpaper.. have much more of it to remove in our place! can't wait to see your finished room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Sarah Richardson too! She is so awesome. I can't wait to see how this turns out, love the color already.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's looking good! Love Sarah too and I watch every one of her shows!!! ~Deb~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't get over how much your stepmom's room looks like our master bedroom! I just completed a DIY makeover too - check it out! http://bit.ly/gNyU0I I also used the same mirror you're considering buying from Ballard, but I got mine from Homegoods - too funny!

    ReplyDelete