10.20.2010

How do you clean?

I've had the cleaning bug lately. The deep clean one. Get into the nooks and crannies and suck the dirt right out. I admit I am a clutter bug too. I blame it on my husband, but it's all me. I put stuff in piles until it about topples over. I am trying to get better. Trying to ensure everything in my home, well has a home. I've done good at getting rid of a lot of useless stuff, but I need to work on putting things away.

This is what I am trying out this week.
  • load and empty dishwasher daily (why do two people have so many dishes? Yes, two.)
  • wipe down kitchen counters and keep the sink clean before bed
  • use a big basket to corral all the crap that shows up during the week to keep it off the kitchen table
  • fold laundry and once a week iron what needs to be and put the rest away
So far so good. I can use some work sorting through the basket. It found its way upstairs to be sorted and has sat there for 3 days.

I am also trying to streamline my cleaning routine. I am hoping by focusing on small tasks every day, I won't have to do a marathon clean session. Last night I deep cleaned my entire downstairs. It's not that big, but it took me 3 hours. Boy did the house smell fresh and clean and I smiled when I was done. I said to myself maybe I can do 15 minute spurts throughout the week to keep it up.

I grew up in a house that was super clean...a clean freak mom. I don't know where she found the time to do it. I am not that obsessive though. I allow shoes in the house, people over and my husband to cook dinner. I want my home lived in, but now I need to find the happy medium of keeping it clean and living life.

Do you clean daily? Do you have a schedule, like bathrooms on Mondays, floors on Wednesdays, etc?

5 comments:

  1. Yes, why must we always struggle with it? My husband and I are trying to work together for 10 min after we put the little to bed. It was his idea beacause I freak out sometimes. But I'm right with you, I want to clean every nook too, we are going to be stuck inside soon. Loved the pictures of your trip by the way. I would like to go someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With 4 kids and two dogs, I'm always cleaning. If I can get the dishes done, and the counters cleared by bedtime, it's been a really good day. Funny, if I look behind me right now, I'm sure my blood pressure would rise rapidly. Dishes in the sink, kid crap on the counter, laundry to head upstairs with...it's never ending and very overwhelming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always trying to get a schedule I stick to.I even got a speedcleaning book by Shannon Lush. I'm not dirty, but tidy somedays and not so tidy on others. My house is tiny so I have no excuse. Martha Stewart says she loves cleaning & cleans her bathroom every day. Well, that just made me feel bad. My husband likes to do mega cleaning sessions every once in a while and then he closes the door to every room he's cleaned. There's never a beginning or ending to it like he would like there to be. It's like you never really 'finish' the laundry, ya know? But, yes I did once have a daily schedule & it worked great the week I did it. Staying on the sched was like saying I'm going to start my diet tomorrow. Sorry about griping, but I'm de molding the wicker patio furn. with a hose & now I'm going to start dinner...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a clean freak but not as bad as I was when I was in high school and college. I want us to enjoy our home so I don't feel like things have to be perfect but I also feel like I am at work all day to pay for this home so I am going to take care of it and be able to enjoy it being clean. haha. With just 2 of us I hand wash our dishes because I HATE to empty the dishwasher. I dust every other day just about and sweep every day. Our dog sheds and I can't stand to have a dirty floor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi - thanks for stopping by my blog the other day, and for supporting me in anti-procrastination week :)

    I find that it takes about 2 hours a week of cleaning (in addition to dishes, laundry, and picking up toys)...I used to have a set day where I set aside 2 hours and lately I've been trying to do 20 minutes a day everyday instead, but it hasn't been working out as well. I think I need to go back to the old system.

    ReplyDelete