I can't contain myself. I am jumping for joy.
The basement stairs are D-O-N-E.
Do you ever say to yourself, why didn't I do this sooner?
What was I waiting for?
If you are THINKING about painting your stairs...do it. You will not regret it.
I had a hard time with the trim around the laminate floor, but I took my time and pieced it together.
There used to be this 2 inch gap between the wall board in stairs on the left.
Crafting a piece of trim and painting it white hides the flaw.
What I learned along the way:
- My stairs were in pretty good shape, but did have paint splatter from when the house was built. Guess when the house was built, I didn't know enough to tell the painters "Hey one day I may want to paint those, so keep your splatters to yourself." I would have spent a little more attention sanding off all of the old paint. You can see some of the shadows if you look real close, like real close.
- I would have done a better job at sticking that blue tape down. There was some bleeding onto the white. I had to go back with a teeny tiny brush and touch up. That hurt my back bending over and being so detailed.
- Stir your porch paint real good. I shook the can like crazy, but didn't have one of those paint stirrers. First set of steps, the paint was a little soupy. Took 3 coats. Second set, paint was thicker (3rd of can) and two thin coats went on like a breeze.
- If you decide to repaint you stair walls, do it before you start the steps.
A fresh coat of wall paint turned a beat up stairway into a clean, crisp walkway.
- Don't forget to paint every other step if you need to get out of the room. I would have been stuck in the basement if I didn't realize this right before I painted the second step.
- You will get a good butt workout lunging up every other step for 2-3 days while the paint cures.
- Remind husband to walk up and down every other step. (He actually did really good at this).
- Move cat box to another part of house so little kitty doesn't leave paw prints. Try walking up every other step carrying cat box 'cause you forgot to move it before you painted.
- Don't procrastinate like I did. Jump in, rip that rug up and PAINT!
Looking down the stairs
I am toying with the idea of numbering the steps, but I kinda like the clean simplicity it has now. Same for the stair walls. I thought of hanging posters or prints, but again, I love the simplicity.
I'm linking up to Decorating Obsessed Just Paint it Challenge; Funky Junk Linky Weekend Party; Remodelaholic Linky Party; Between Naps on the Porch Linky Party