7.19.2010

Office- Paint Treatment


Why didn't I do this sooner?
Last year I moved my office into the larger of the two spare bedrooms to gain space for both the treadmill and my desk, filing cabinets, etc.
This is how it's looked for the better part of the year.

Nothing on the walls. No window treatments. A place where stuff gets piled when company comes over (come on, I know you hide your clutter too).

I've seen many variations of stripes across blog land, two of my favorites are from Chris at Just Beachy and from Layla at The Lettered Cottage.

Tonight I tackled the big blank wall. I'm loving it as an accent wall and haven't decided if I am going to continue around the room.

Here's what I did and what I learned:
  • I made small pencil marks every 12 inches, stood back and decided the last row was too small. So I did the same every 10 inches and it worked. I'm sure there is a mathematical way to do this, but I used my eye to see what worked.
  • I then used my level and made light pencil lines across the wall. Keep them very light.
  • Next, I used painter's tape and masked out the lines. I put the tape a smidgen below the pencil line and then went back with Magic Erasure to get rid of it. I didn't want it bleeding through the paint or looking smudgy.
  • I placed a small piece of painter's tape for every row I was going to paint. This way I knew if I had to tape above or below the line.


  • Once that is done, go back and give the tape a real good rub down. I used a ruler to make it stick good.

  • This point took me about 1.5 hours. I'm slow and silly perfect like that.
  • At this point I busted out my paint. I used left over flat wall paint in a cream finish. It is the same color as my trim, just flat.
  • I rolled each row. Double coated. Removed the painters tape after each row. So I didn't paint all the rows and then go back to remove the tape. I removed it as I went along, peeling very slowly. Not one spot had any paint bleeding.
I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. I'm kinda sleepy so hope I still like it when I wake up. If not, good old paint will fix it right up...how great is that?

11 comments:

  1. It looks great. I can't wait to see what else you do. I'm seeing all kinds of possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the same thing in my son's room. Boy, it really makes a difference in your study. I love it. Lisa~

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out so cool. I love the 2 colors you chose. Very subtle.
    Thanks for stopping by my bedskirt post. I say get that serger out and start. You'll be suprised how easy they are. Now if it comes unthreaded, you'll need to get out the directions, take your time, and follow them exactly.(the lower looper is usually a pain) Always pull ALL threads out and re-thread from the beginning. With sergers, you can't just re-thread one spool. And when you're running out of thread, get a new spool, cut your old spool thread, tie a tiny knot to the running out spool, and run it through the machine slowly with a scrap of fabric. This usually works to change spools of thread.
    Good luck!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am laughing! More than one person actually told me to plan for a room that can hold all of our everyday working junk when we build our house. The paint job turned out very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks amazing! I love my striped wall and honestly think it will be one of the few walls I don't re-paint for a LONG time. Love the colors you used too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelly, thanks for the serger tips...hope to bust it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray for stripes! You did a great job. And congrats on NO paint bleeds! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so awesome! I could never get it that straight ... great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! Nice job and I'm glad you are happy with it. I'm amazed that your paint didn't leak under. I must use cheap tape or something! I just started putting a layer of acrylic medium, or glaze or modge podge over my seam before I paint.

    Brittany
    http://www.prettyhandygirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - what a difference! It looks like you did a great job! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog - I really appreciate it!
    Alissa

    ReplyDelete