2.28.2010

Sunday Afternoon Purge

Last weekend I made a bunch of food to jump start the week. It was so great that I decided to do it again. Nothing like home cooked comfort food to keep everyone happy.

I am proud to say I had a very productive afternoon. After church, I accomplished the following:

Cooked One Quiche and Two Soups
Filled Three Garbage Bags with junk
Washed Four Loads of Laundry and
Made Five Piles to decide what to do with

While the food was cooking, I felt the basement calling..."YOU ARE NEGLECTING ME." You see this is the last room that is not finished, not organized and looks like a bomb hit it. My husband has one side of the basement and well, technically I have the other. My side became a dumping ground for everything that did not have a home.

I am EMBARRASSED by it.
It's a mess.
It's dirty and it stressed me out.

Wanna tour? OK, beware of JUNK and please don't call the Hoarder Police. I won't even explain it all, but you'll get the picture that it's time for some serious purging, selling and finishing.

Left of door is husband's man cave. Why won't anyone use the door handle? See that grime on the door.
That's disgusting. Need of serious paint.
Stuff is thrown down the stairs. Reason pillow is sitting there for about 2 months.
Why won't someone kick it out of the way?


Cabinets used to be where the bead board is missing, but we used them in the pool house.
I am coming up with new plan for the space. Wish me well.


HOT MESS


It just gets worse.


The scariest place to be. Laundry room. Furnace, Hot Water Heater, Water Softener, Well Pump and the Cat Box.
They are not my friends and I wish they would leave my space. I have to learn how to make do and share in a more friendlier atmosphere.



After hours down there, sneezing and annoyed at myself for letting it get like this, I am pleased to say today was a start. I am now looking forward to planning, painting, trimming and putting the finishing touches on the space. I am scouring the internet looking for inspiration. I'll keep you all posted. Pray for me. :)

11 comments:

  1. You go girl. Good luck with your clean up/organization!! Can't wait to see the after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished organizing my basement -- a trip to the dump and I'm done! I got rid of LOTS of stuff and I'm not sorry. Things are neater -- next stop -- attic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! We are currently doing the same thing. Spring Cleaning,trying to purge some items, and get things more organized. We wish you luck and can't wait to see the outcome!

    Laura & Michele

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so need to do this for our storage areas! But it's not fun at all. Think you for inspiring me, though. With spring just around the corner, this is the perfect time for this!

    Can't wait to see how the room turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you are on a mission to re-organise that basement!! You go girl!!! Can't wait to see what you do with all that space.~ Tina x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your inspiring advice. You have no idea how much I appreciate your words of wisdom. Thank you!!

    Cheers~
    e

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's to hot messes! Don't worry, we all have them :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girl, this is nothing. Although I am sure it bothers you. I cleaded a guest room last year after relatives from Europe were coming over and I wish I had taken before photos. But, the room frustrated me that I dove right in. I regret that I didn't. Thank you for your comment on my blog. Still cleaning c*#p by me :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Once you get started...you'll get bitten by the bug...and you'll be excited to get your space painted and decorated...can't wait to see how it turns outs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The blog "I'm an Organizing Junkie" just announced the winners of their 28 day organizing challenge, complete with before and after photos and blog posts. It's pretty inspiring, and you might get some ideas there. I'm not very computer savy, but I tried to copy the URL below. If that doesn't work, I guess you can always Google it!

    http://orgjunkie.com/2010/03/and-the-winners-of-the-28-day-organizing-challenge-are.html

    (By the way, I got to your blog via your award to "All Things Home.")

    Happy Spring Cleanaing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking forward to seeing what you do in here. You can do it, you can DO IT! I can attest that an organized laundry room makes for a happier laundry lady! ;)

    ReplyDelete