2.10.2010

Sewing: Pillow "Country Living" Way




I finally said to myself "ok try to do something constructive tonight". I busted out the sewing machine and stared at it. Frightening.

I wanted to make something and had torn out this article from Country Living a few weeks back. You can find it here. It details how to make a pillow cover from button down shirts.

I had recently gone through my closet that I share with my husband looking for items to donate. (He has no clue I rummage his side looking for things). I came across a couple of shirts and tossed into bag with some of my belongings.

Tonight I dug into the bag and pulled out this white linen shirt (that had never even been worn). I had no idea what I was doing, but figured how hard can it be to follow directions.


3 hours later, I have a pillow. I followed the directions, but I didn't measure my pillow form all that well. What do I know about seam allowance? The first form I tried made the pillow look fat. Picture a fat man at restaurant with his shirt taught and tight. I found a smaller pillow form and sewed new seams.

This is the first time I have sewn anything in guessing close to 10 years. It was like riding a bike navigating the machine, but I learned a lot tonight. (BTW, I skipped step #5).

Couple of hints:
-check your measurements
-iron your seams flat
-clip your corners
-plan for any embellishments ahead of time. I wanted to add ric rack trim but forgot.
-get excited for your next one!

I'd be happy to answer any questions as I didn't take photos along the way. I was way too focused.

7 comments:

  1. Love the pillow! This is good encouragement for me since it's been 10 years for me as well (and I'm shocked by this revelation!) since I've last sewn. I will have to brave my machine soon and try something soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, you are good. That is a great pillow. I am impressed and love it. Keep on sewing...

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific idea. I might just have to start looking in the clothing section of thrift stores for linen shirts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great looking pillow! It's fun to start and actually finish a project. I wish I had a sewing machine, but I got rid of mine a few years back. But honestly, my sewing skills were nothing to brag about :p

    www.mypixieblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pillow is so adorable! Thanks so much for the tutorial. I would love to sew this if I could get my hands on a sewing machine. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great! I never would have thought it used to be a shirt!

    ReplyDelete