2.15.2010

Kitchen Island

Over two years and I still don't know what to hang on the wall behind the island :( Chalkboard?
Lighting is from Home Depot or Lowes

That's my wall of fame aka family way back there on the far wall.
Red Clock is from Pottery Barn

My kitchen remodel included a "I want that!, Can I have it?, Please say yes." kitchen island. I saved a big chunk of change by reusing some existing cabinets for my DIY island.

We never thought we could even fit an island in this tiny kitchen, but with a lot of planning and using my trusty blue tape, we found the perfect size. The granite matches the rest of the kitchen and I love how easy it is to clean.

I took two existing base cabinets. One is narrow and holds my cookie sheets and has a tiny junk drawer for pens and such.

I bought that tray at Target. Perfect size and has no slip grippers on it.

The second cabinet is a two drawer, two door base cabinet that holds my baking dishes, blender, mixer, and food processor. Stuff that I don't use all that much, but takes up a lot of space.
These roll out trays are really cool and save your back!

I mapped out the cabinets using my trusty blue tape and then had them secured to 2x4s nailed onto the floor. I wrapped the back and sides with bead board and trimmed with 1x3 boards. I had ordered the drawer and door fronts online and had the hinges drilled. Everything received a coat of my favorite white paint. Benjamin Moore White Dove in Eggshell Aqua velvet finish.

My knobs/Pulls are ORB and are from Home Depot
The bead board was half sheets from Home Depot


Hubs and I sit at our island all the time. We eat all our meals here, do paperwork, read the paper. When we entertain, everyone gathers here. It's great for buffet food serving. Love it for baking and even wrapping presents.

Thanks for stopping by. I'm linking up to Cottage Instincts Make it for Monday.

19 comments:

  1. I'm totally jealous of your island and all the storage it provides... I've been thinking of doing something with bead board in our kitchen, love the way it looks in yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, 3 things:

    1. Your island looks incredible!

    2. I think the chalkboard would be brilliant!

    3. I love your Kitchenaid mixer! I have a yellow one too. Isn't it so cheerful?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your island looks awesome!! I have a kitchen island but it is an open design with no storage or seating....basically it's just a prep service. I may just have to be a copycat and make one like yours.....great idea!!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog:)
    Blessings to you,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of a chalk board wall, I think it would be a lot of fun, functional and look wonderful! Thanks for stopping by my blog :) Have a great day!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm adding to the jealousy by making a comment on your yellow mixer. That's exactly the one I want, color and all. If you ever get tired of it just let me know and I'll give you my mailing address;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your kitchen!!! So I was wondering if you could tell me the name of the paint on the walls???

    Thanks,
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paint color on walls in Benjamin Moore Pale Almond OC-2

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very Nice!!! Love the yellow mixer too! I have a black one, but yours is very cheerful! Thanks for stopping by the other day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your island! I dream of having a real (stationary) one some day. A chalk board would look great in there, I say go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that island! I love the idea of a chalkboard!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The island is wonderful, and I'm glad you used cabinets to make it. I'd been planning to do that, so I'm glad it turned out so great! I think a chalkboard behind the island would be the perfect choice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! We love our subway tiles, don't we? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love looking at your kitchen transformation. And this island is amazing, I love the idea to put the bottom cabinets together. Oh and I love your kitchen sink!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the style of your island and yes those pull out racks are so awesome!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice island! Love the beadboard detail on it. You have a very pretty kitchen!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's so pretty! It's great how you made your idea work with the space you had.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I absolutely love this island!!! I want one just like it in my kitchen, the only problem is its a small space and we don't want to cough up big bucks to do it. I want to find some cabinets just like this and make my own like you did...great inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely kitchen. I think the detail on the wall behind the island is wonderful. Really adds a lot to the room. And the subway tile with some depth to it is terrific, and looks much richer than flat tile. Good choice! This is my first time to your site. I'll have to take a look around!
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete