2.03.2010

Dumb Drapery Hardware


Do you see those holes?
7 of them, not to mention the other mares on the wall.
Every--- single--- time I go to install window hardware this is what happens.
It is SOOOOOO frustrating.
The stupid screws that come with the hardware are always too short and don't grab into anything.
This time I used my stud finder and figured I'd drill right into the studs.
I even found longer matching screws.
That didn't help because just when the screw was going to set, it strips and my drill goes flying and gouges the wall.
This is why all my bedrooms currently don't have curtains hanging up.
Every single time I run into this problem.
Now I have to spackle, paint (and hope I have touch up paint) just to try it again.
Am I using hardware that is made for rocket scientist?
What do you do?
I am so frustrated jumping up and down.
Time for cookies!

7 comments:

  1. I have bum luck installing things like this, too. Which is why my curtains are hung on ring clips and upholstery tacks. No nails, no screws, no fuss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure what the problem is, but make sure you are pushing on the drill like you mean it. It needs decent pressure to go in smoothly. I have been known to pre-drill the screws with a small bit, as well. Why make the screw do all the work?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always use a wall anchor when screwing something into to wall without a stud..but i put spackle inside the hole first then add the wall anchor then the screw..hope that helps..~lulu

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Lulu said...I use wall anchors when not screwing into a stud...but make sure you drill the hole just a tad smaller than the anchor..then tap it in with a hammer. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the tips and well wishes. I'll be spackling and starting over this weekend. It's calling for snow, so a good weekend to tackle these types of things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel your pain, installing draperies is not easy. I have a few holes that need patching too. I use a hex head adapter and hex head screws, they are easier than phillips, oh and I never use the screws that come with the hardware. My installer is a magician, I don't know what I would do without him !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree. Draperies are a must in any interior but your walls pay the price!

    ReplyDelete