9.15.2009

Hard Knocks of Wood


It's been a long couple of days.  While I've said to myself a time or two, why didn't I just install snap and click laminate flooring...I'm very happy I didn't.

Hubs and I have been sanding the areas by the french doors.  When I say sanding...belt sanding. Dirty, Dusty, Darn I hate it sanding.  We had to do this so the door bottoms would not hit the floor.  When we had the pool house settle, it actually caused the joists to bow and cause a hump.  In hindsight, I would have sanded the subfloor prior to the installing the wood flooring...but I didn't know.  Live and learn.

Anyway, two belt sanders later and numerous 60 grit paper, we got it as good as its going to get.  I installed shorter door sweep/bottoms and now we are golden.

I decided to jump in and finish the floor myself.  Scared I was, but I used Zinsser Seal Coat.  I hand wiped one coat (yeah, I'm silly like that).  And then applied one coat of Water Based Poly.
I used the "go with it applicator" for that.  It went on white and I was very worried cause I kept having strokes where I stopped, but it appears to have dried fine.

Still have a couple more coats to go, but it looks really good.  I even think it looks better than my home floor that I paid mucho bucks for guys to do for me (go figure).

The photo flash calls attention to all the swirly details in the cherry flooring.  It's not that much in person...it just looks that way on camera.  I'll get some better shots later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment