3.30.2014

Project Hallway: Beadboard

Thanks to all my followers who have helped me with this project! I frequently post on Instagram what crazy project I have up my sleeve and love to hear what opinions and advice you all have.
This project to update our teeny tiny hallway has been in the works for a while now.   It started with me installing a barn door, which eventually didn't work out. More on that later. I had previously installed wood trim about 3/4 the way up the wall with the intention of installing either board and batten or beadboard.  It stayed like that for years....

 While at Lowes for completely unrelated items, I picked up a few packages of their planked beadboard.  I debated if I should install it in the traditional way or horizontal.  I wanted something more modern, but still had that classic look.  With the saw going in full force, I started cutting and installing them this way.
 What is great about these planks is that they are light weight and thin.  The bad news is that there are quite a few boards that have big holes or that are damaged.  Buy more than you think you need.  I also bought their long 8ft board because I didn't want seams.
 At this point I was pretty much loving how the wood gave such character to the space.

 Here is where it started to look a little bit like a sauna room, but I knew in the end once I painted it everything would be bright and cheery again.
 I had a hard time settling on what primer to use, but all my IG friends offered tons of support. I decided to use a quart of Zinsser Bin Shellac in White and painted on one coat. I then applied a second coat of primer, but used Zinsser 123 Plus. If you do the same thing, make sure you use the Plus.
 The coverage was pretty amazing and all the dark knots and gaps didn't show any bleed through.  Because I was doing the painting on the weekend, I ran out of time and the primer had a full week to cure.  This was a good test though to see if anything started to bleed right away through the primer.  I sanded between each coat at this point too.  The wood has rough spots and by sanding everything turned out like butter.
 My top coat paint of choice is Behr Ultra Paint and Primer in Eggshell in White Dove by Benjamin Moore. I used this as well as Benjamin Moore's Eggshell in White Dove on all my trim, but it all depends what I have on hand and if I want the primer mixed in.
With the Behr, it's always a little thick.  I found, through trial and error, when I am painting furniture or trim with it, I do add a little bit of water.  Not much, maybe a tablespoon to a quart or so.  I don't want the paint to be drippy, but a little thinner.  This way I find that there are hardly any brush strokes.  I've used the professional paint thinners as well, but found that good old water works better for me.

I had brushed all the primer and paint I used on the beadboard.  I found that it definitely took longer than rolling it on, but the finish looked more classic and like it had been their for a long time.

The top coat was done in two stages, the first light coat going on in the morning and it took about 2 hours to cover the hallway beadboard and trim.  I let it dry the afternoon and then went back with a damp sanding sponge to scuff up any high spots.  The last coat went on at night and took about the same 2 hours, but I paid more attention to getting the paint into the cracks and crevices.  I didn't use a lot of caulk where the boards meet the trim.  My cuts were pretty close, but I found that I didn't like how the caulk smooshed into the bead part of the boards.  Right now I'm ok with some of the gaps.  We'll see if I go back to fill in some of them.
 The final coverage is pretty darn amazing and exactly what I wanted.  I'm in the process of painting the  upper walls and will share the final reveal soon.  Follow me on Instagram to see how it's all progressing.